Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day Zero Project: 50 Questions that will Free your Mind

So as one of our Day Zero Project items, we found this cool list of questions that will supposedly free our minds. :) Needless to say, we found the questions intriguing and decided to give it a go! So here are my questions and answers. Maybe you can get your mind freed as well.

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
 A: Well, I guess it's easy when you start off with an easy question, right? I'm saying 21, only because if ever asked it's just what comes out. Although I am 25, in fact almost 26, it just feels right to be 21. Maybe it's because I had such a plan for my life and when it didn't work, I formed what HAD become my life into what I thought it was going to be. For example, I was SURE I was going to be married and have a kid by the age of 21. Here I am, married and have a kid, yet I'm 25. So if I place myself back into that "21" I am instantly where I thought I would be. I feel it in body and mind though too. I feel young, fresh, fun, ect.

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?
A: Definitely never trying. How can you fail with out trying? Why not succeed? Is it truly possible to fail every time? No. So if you never try, you will never succeed.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
A: Don't we wish we could do everything we wanted so perfectly? Life is also about give and take. You can't make JUST yourself happy everyday or who would you be? A self centered... You know what. Also, you can't do EVERYTHING in life. I mean you can plan and expect and desire to do these things, but some things may be, say, financially impossible. I have on my bucket list to go see the seven wonders of the natural world. Now I'm well aware these are all over the world, but I have every intention of doing it with in my LIFETIME. Life is short, but it is also a very long time to do the things you want to do and unfortunately have to do the things you sometimes don't want to.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
A: Absolutely not. It is an impossible mission. I would LOVE to be able to do all I've said I wanted to, but I can't. I want to have a million kids, but it's just not feasible. In my dreams!

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?

A: This is going to sound so stereotypical, but I wish we could all just get along. How amazing would this planet be if we all agreed. If every country welcomed you with open arms and didn't want to harm you. Stealing from Semi-Pro the movie, EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY! Wouldn't that be just grand? A world with no malice and hate... ahhh... if only.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
A: Being a mom. I know it's not really a "job" job, but it is to me. It really is a lot of work and I think people don't quite understand. It is TWENTY FOUR SEVEN. I dream about Layla, I worry about Layla at night, ect. However, it is truly the most rewarding and amazing "job" I've ever had. I've never smiled as much as I have, since I've had that sweet angel. I can only imagine what more will do. I get smitten at the thought of having more little Valentine's running around. <3


7.Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
A: Honestly, for a long time I'm not sure if I knew what I believed in. It hasn't been until recently that I've figured out what I believe in and yes, I'm moving towards acting on what I believe in. i can't say I've ever settled for what I'm doing. I guess in  round about way I was, but when you don't have a belief or your belief is so loose, almost everything fits into your category of "belief," therefore, you are doing what you believe in. If that makes sense. :P

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?

A: Isn't this how it used to be? Isn't this why girls were wives at 14 and having babies by 16? In this culture, even if your life expectancy was only 40 I'm not sure if 14 year olds would be wives. However, this is not asking about culture, this is asking about me. I'm not sure if I would do much different. Maybe approach life with more urgency, try to teach my children everything I know or want them to know. You know, I might document my life a little better so that 3 generations (which would only be about 100 years later) from me, they'll know who I am and what I was like and believe in.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

A: I feel like I've had complete control over my life and course it's taken, however, God is probably looking at me as I type this and laughing. :P I knew I always wanted to be a mom, and go to hair school and I've done all those things. I feel the further along in life I go the less in control I'm in. Mostly due to the fact that I'm married though. In this case, you have to compromise and that's exactly what I am and will be doing.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
A: Anybody that knows me probably would say "doing things right." I like things done the right way and by right way I mean my way. HAHA!! In my own defense though, I do things with the intentions of doing the right things. I want to be right and good all the time, but I want them to be done right too! I'm trying to move away from being a "perfectionist" and more towards just doing right things, so ask me again in a year or so. :P

11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?
A: SPEAK UP. I'm one to stick up for other people, especially if it's distasteful. You know, if the two of you don't get along fine, that doesn't mean talking negatively behind their back is the right thing to do. I'm guilty of this at times, but constantly trying to be better and a better person.

12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
A: Oh man, only ONE?! Hmmm... Listen to your elders. Is that cheating? haha!! Okay, I'll try a little harder. My advice would be, love one another, unconditionally.

13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

A: There's a good chance. Say someone said "steal that piece of gum or Wayne dies." OF COURSE I would steal a piece of gum. Waynes life is SO much more valuable than a piece of gum. Now technically that is breaking the law, so it's easy to say yes. However, I think on a larger scale like, kill someone, I'm not sure... I think it's a situational thing and you would have to be there. It's not something you can predetermine.

14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
A: What an interesting question... I've been thinking about it long and hard but can't seem to come up with anything that I might see as insanity and then creativity. Maybe as Layla gets older and she starts drawing me pictures. :)

15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
A: Goodness, there is probably a million things I do differently, but to name one... Let's see. I put my make up on different than anyone I know. :)

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?

A: Because everyone has a different idea of what happy is. Different things make different people happy. For me it's my beautiful Layla, where as someone else may not even want children and to them it's traveling. And I have lots of things that make me happy! Heck, there's probably tons of things that make me and other people happy.

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?
A: Skydiving. I know it will be a thrill and I will adore it, it just takes a lot of guts and I don't feel like I have quite the guts yet. Who knows though, I might say that forever. I'll do it someday though. Yes, yes I will.

18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
A: Kind of. It is something I have clearly moved on from but it frequents me occasionally with the "what if's."

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
A: Ok, I'm going to go 2 ways with this. Unrealistically I would move to England. I, for whatever reason, think I would be very happy there. It's similar enough to the US, they speak english, ect, ect. Realistically, probably Ohio. It would make my husband happy, I think I'll end up happy and we'll be surrounded by tons of loving family members. It will also be easy to access all my relatives in Florida, California, Idaho, Arizona. The list could go on and on.

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
A: Sometimes. I think I don't more than I do. In fact, I don't think I press the actual number more than once, it's if it has a door close button that's the one I press over and over and over. I do not think it makes it go any faster, but I think it occupies my mind enough while I'm waiting that it feels faster.

21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
A: Joyful simpleton for sure. This is kind of off topic, but I have been on "the pill" birth control and while I was on it, it gave me THE WORST anxiety and worry I've ever had. It truly made everyday life such a stress. Since getting off it's gotten so  much better. Needless to say, I've been worried and not even a genius and it was terrible, so why would I want to be a genius and be worried? NO THANKS!

22. Why are you, you?
A: Because God made me, me! DUH! Ha! Seriously though, I'm me, because I've been through different life tribulations that have carved me into the person I am.

23. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
A: Most the time. I can't say I have 100%. I'd love to be in touch with more people and more compassionate and caring, but at the same time I think I'm extremely thoughtful and am always there. That's what I would want in a friend. Not someone that just takes takes takes.

24. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

A: I think losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you. I feel like then, there is no excuse. If someone doesn't live near you it's easier and more understandable that you lose touch. Still not acceptable, but understandable. Losing touch with someone that lives right near you, I think is just laziness and uncaring.

25. What are you most grateful for?

A: The life God has blessed me with. I have amazing parents, an awesome brother, a husband that came straight from a dream, the most adorable little girl, great in-law's and friends I couldn't live with out. I am able to stay at home with my baby girl and make food for my family. I am truly blessed.

26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

A: Oh man. Thing is, I can guarantee my old memories are great. I'm pretty sure my new ones are going to be great, but how will I ever know. And why would I give up a guarantee for a maybe. I think maybe before I had Layla I would say never be able to make new ones, just so I could retain my past, but now that I've had her, I can't imagine not making memories with her. If I couldn't remember those moments with her it would break my heart.

27. Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

A: Sure. It's called trust and belief. Say for example, if Wayne said I parked the car on the ride side of the driveway, when he normally parks it on the left, I would just believe him. I don't need to challenge it by saying "well you normally park it on the left side, why would you park it on the right? I'll just go check." I just trust and believe him.

28. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

A: No. Thank goodness. My biggest fear is that Layla will die. I could not imagine what that would be like and I pray it will never come to pass.

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?

A: Not at all. This is something I really need to focus on during every argument or anytime I'm feeling extremely frustrated.

30. What is your happiest childhood memory?  What makes it so special?

A: Racing worms in the sandbox with Jessa. It's so special because it was just us being innocent and having a real friendship. An amazing childhood friendship. Not that we don't have a great friendship now, but a childhood friendship is so much more deep. You almost need each other. I can't remember going a day with out seeing her. There weren't any hard feelings or judgements. It was great.

31. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?

A: The day my baby was born. I've never felt love, a passionate love like that in my life. It gave me a feeling of aliveness being able to give birth to her. Carrying a child is such a magical time and then giving birth to the little miracle is just AMAZING. I firmly believe in unmedicated births. If you want to feel alive, do that!

32. If not now, then when?

A: Never. HA! No, just because I can't do it now doesn't mean I'll never do it, as this question is insinuating. Somethings just take time and proper planning.

33. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

A: Sometimes everything. Sometimes nothing. It's not always go big or go home. Sometimes things you want achieve so bad are not the best for you. However, if it is something worth it and you haven't achieved it you have nothing at all to lose and you should just go for it!

34. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

A: Can't say that I have. If I did, I don't remember it. If I did and don't remember, then shame on me and it is truly my loss.

35. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

A: Is this still common? I know in the past this is the case. Catholics, Baptists, Mormons, ect, but does it really still happen. I guess I can't judge since I don't know anything about most religions, but I'm assuming this is in reference to Muslims? If that is the case, I hope it is because of passion. The thought of someone else not loving God the way you do and not seeing "the truth" might hurt someone so bad that a war is created. I don't think this is what He would have wanted, but I suppose this is why?

36. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

A: I wish. I really do wish life and decisions were so black and white. Also, what is good to someone might be evil to another. There are so many different life perspectives it's hard to say what this person might feel is evil while you feel otherwise.

37. If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

A: Well, considering my job is being a mom, NO WAY! :) However, if I did have a traditional job, it would depend. It would depend on how much I made and how much time I spent away from home. If I was getting paid poorly and got paid junk, then absolutely. Now if it was vital that I work and 1 million wouldn't really make a difference then yes, I would continue to work. One million is a lot, but it's not that much. I'm only 25 too, maybe if I was later in my life, had been working a job where I already had a retirement and a million would stretch me to the end of my life then sure.

38.Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?

A: Depends on the day. I'd say most days more work I enjoy doing, but I can see how there might be a day where I would just rather have less work to do.

39. Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

A: Today, for sure. Get up, hang with baby, watch kids, play on computer, watch tv, clean kitchen, do laundry, make dinner, ect...  YES, I DO!

40. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

A: Just recently. We've recently being trying to find Christ. I've got a soft glow of an idea of what I strongly believe in, but the darkness is slowly lifting and we couldn't be happier. It is making our lives, marriage and family so so so much stronger. It's been incredibly rewarding.

41. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?

A: What a sad and depressing question! At any rate, I have to answer it. If distance was no matter, I would visit both parents, both my grandma's, Wayne and Layla. Ugh, this makes me sick thinking about. Next question please.

42. Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?

A: Nope. I don't think that's a great trade off. I'm perfectly happy being me. The unfamous, not ridiculously attractive, plain old me of a wife, mother and daughter.

43. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

A: I think being alive is just going through the everyday motions with out truly seeing the beauty in life. Truly living is seeing the small things. Smiling at something that may have made you mad, tasting something you never had and hugging more than once a day.

44. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?

A: For me, never. Just because you know it's right doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Take for example a move. I know the right thing to do is to move to Florida (not really Florida, just an example), but I know, after weighing the risks and rewards, that we won't be able to live a good life there, I wouldn't do it. I don't think this is the case for every situation, but why does there have to be no risk and rewards evaluation? Why do we have to just go ahead and do something, where it right or wrong?

45. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

A: Because it hurts. Most the time that is. Why do you think your elders always try to teach you? Because they know if you mess up and you'll be ok? Of course you will eventually, but right away you hurt and if they can avoid you getting hurt, why wouldn't they?

46. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?

A: Discipline my children in public. I understand I don't have "children" just yet, I just have one, but when I do I wish I could discipline them the way I would at home in public with out such a controversy. I don't hurt my child out of rage, I discipline my child out of love.

47. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?

A: I can't think right off the bat, but I would venture to guess when I last went running. I always try to listen for my breathing to see if I need to calm it out. I'm constantly telling myself to relax.

48. What do you love?  Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?

A: Oh, I love a lot! I love my family and yes, I tell them all the time, I cook for them, I play with them, I hold their hand, hug and kiss them. I love food, so I cook.

49. In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?  What about the day before that?  Or the day before that?

A: Probably not. Who's to say I have to vividly remember everyday though? I actually probably will remember yesterday because Wayne and I watched a DVD on how to strengthen our marriage through God. There were a lot of great tips to help settle disputes and understand each other better. It's something I will probably think about during any argument from now on and whether I'll remember the whole day or just those tips, I'll remember it. Oh! And Jaime and I made a delicious homemade apple pie from scratch for the first time, so I will probably remember that too! So, YES! I probably will remember yesterday, 5 years from now.

50. Decisions are being made right now.  The question is:  Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?

A: I think I make my own decisions for sure. I keep other people in mind constantly, but I am me and I will make decisions that I think are best for me and my family. Always.


I have to say these questions really got my brain working, but is that a bad thing? I hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I enjoyed answering them. And honestly, if you made it through the whole thing, then BRAVO!! You're one dedicated soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment